While there is no “one stop shop” for women’s health, we know of an herb that comes close. Drumroll please… Shatavari! Ayurveda, deemed “The Science of Life”, recognizes Shatavari as the #1 adaptogenic herb for every cycle of a woman’s life.
In the same genus of flowering plants as the common vegetable asparagus, Shatavari is a powerful adaptogen traditionally used to support a woman through all phases of life by promoting healthy hormonal and reproductive functions. Shatavari is a treasured adaptogen that has been used in the Vedic tradition for thousands of years to support normal hormonal balance. Wild Shatavari is currently threatened by overharvesting and habitat destruction; at ORGANIC INDIA we responsibly cultivate Shatavari using regenerative agricultural practices that heal the Earth.*
Here’s a breakdown of what Shatavari can do for you:
What is Shatavari?
- Scientific name: Asparagus racemosus
- Also known as: Wild Asparagus
- Meaning of name: The name Shatavari translates to “the plant that has 100 roots below the ground” or “The 100 Rooted One”
History and Folk Lore:
- In India, it is said that a woman taking Shatavari has the beauty and strength to acquire 100 husbands
- Traditionally used as a rejuvenating tonic for the female system
- Traditionally used to increase breast milk flow; a galactagogue
- Adaptogen: Aids the body in adapting to stress
- Mental, emotional, physical, environmental, and biological
- Aims to balance women’s hormones
- Helpful during PMS, pregnancy, menarche, and menopause
Both Men and Women:
- Promotes healthy reproductive function
- Tones and strengthens reproductive system
- Increases strength and stamina
- Internally cooling
- Boosts immunity
- Considered a superfood
- Dosha: Decreases Vata, Balances Pitta, Increases Kapha
- Tastes: Sweet, Bitter
- 1 Capsule, twice daily with food and water
*When taking herbs it is best to work with a practitioner to tailor a health plan that works for you and your individual body. Always consult a practitioner before taking herbs regarding pre-existing conditions, medication interactions, and overall herbal knowledge.
ORGANIC INDIA‘s Shatavari:
- Whole Herb
- Part used: Root
- Kosher & Halal
20 years ago we set out to create a herbal medicine company that was close to our hearts. Our plan was to export India’s ancient Ayurvedic medicinal wisdom, in the form of herbal formulas and supplements, to the West. Yet after witnessing the critical and toxic state of India’s agriculture, we realised that our mission would be far better served working across the supply chain ourselves, starting with the health of the land and the farmers, all the way through to the consumer. We now work with over 2000 rural family farmers to cultivate over 10,000 acres of organic farmland in India.
THIRSTY FOR MORE? YOU’LL LOVE THESE ARTICLES…
Subscribe to our newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter for up-to-date news, new products and special offers. Be apart of our beautiful community inspiring True Wellness for all.