Spring, the season of renewal, invites us to clear out- not just our cupboards – our bodies, and our minds. Shedding the warm cosiness of winter, saying goodbye to those comfort carbs, and embracing uplifting and energising cleansing practices, helps us to prepare our bodies for another lap around the sun.
The below Spring Clean toolkit offers a selection of practices well worth including in a Springtime cleansing regime;
- Tucking into plant-based cleansing foods, while avoiding packaged foods, fast food, stimulants, drugs and refined sweeteners, is a good way to begin! Meat, alcohol, dairy, sugar and processed foods all burden the liver, while an abundance of green leaves supports optimum liver functioning. Choose from as many varied sources as possible during this time- the more rocket, kale, sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts and cauliflower that you can consume, the better!
- Intermittent fasting gives the digestive system a break so that it can focus on the deeper cleansing processes that cannot take place until after all food has been digested. Allowing at least 12 hours between dinner and breakfast drinking only water or herbal tea in between is an accessible way to incorporate intermittent fasting into your routine.
- Eating with the sun makes the most of digestive fire. Breakfast before nine, a nourishing midday (main) meal, and a light supper as the sun is setting or, as early as possible in the evening, allows for digestion to take place before
- The biological cleansing process takes energy and calls upon many nutrients. You can add to your dietary intake by including either;
- a certified organic green powder such as ORGANIC INDIA Moringa to provide extra nourishment and / or,
- a nutrient packed green vegetable juice. Sweeten only if necessary with one piece of fruit. My absolute favourite cleanse juice contains celery, parsley, cucumber, ginger, and either lemon or lime – a real treat!
- If you aren’t regular, focus on getting regular- this is vitally important when cleansing, since any toxins you release from your cells must exit the body in a timely way or else they will recirculate and wreak havoc! ORGANIC INDIA whole husk Psyllium can assist with this. Be sure to drink plenty of water if you take it.
- Stay hydrated. Flush that liver and those kidneys with pure, clean, vital water and an abundance of organic herbal teas.
- Did I say herbal tea? A very tasty way to stay hydrated. Swap caffeinated beverages for herbal teas – select from the certified organic ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi range to enhance your cleanse as follows;
- Tulsi CLEANSE to support healthy liver and kidney function
- Tulsi LAX to encourage efficient elimination of toxins via the large intestine
- Tulsi SLEEP aids a deep restorative sleep
- Tulsi WELLNESS provides all-round nourishment
- Tulsi GREEN if you have ceased coffee and are experiencing withdrawal symptoms (such as headache, nausea & lethargy)
- Drink Tulsi Licorice Spice, Tulsi Sweet Rose, and Tulsi Cinnamon Rose whenever craving sugar as these contain naturally sweet herbs and help to balance blood sugar levels.
- All Tulsi teas nourish the nervous system, helping your body adapt as you release old, unsupportive habits and embrace new life-enhancing ones!
- Regular, moderate exercise is key to a healthy liver. Follow your energy levels during the cleansing period and adjust your exercise accordingly. You may feel tired, especially early on. Note that the body is working hard on cleansing so intense exercise should be avoided. Choose outdoor options wherever possible – Spring is a beautiful time to inhale fresh air.
- Get good sleep. This cannot be overemphasised. Like pressing the reset button, even the brain is purported to cleanse during sleep. Hormone regulation, mood, energy levels and immunity are all connected to a healthy sleep / wake cycle.
- Dry skin brushing – our skin is the largest of our elimination organs. Dry brushing with a loofah removes dead skin cells and improves the body’s ability to eliminate toxins through the pores of the skin.
- Warm sesame oil massage. Known as Abhyanga in Ayurveda, this nourishing practice supports proper circulation and lymphatic drainage.
- Your mental detox can be supported in any of the following ways; practicing yoga and meditation, journaling, taking a nature walk, switching off phones and devices, and choosing to spend time in positive, uplifting company.
Spring cleansing can be as detailed as you want or need it to be. You may choose to dive into all of the above, or it might serve you better to select three options most appealing to you and focus on those. Your body will be grateful for whatever investment you make.
May your next cycle of the four seasons be uplifting and invigorating thanks to the renewal this Spring brings.
Sarada (Sally Martin) is a naturopath, herbalist, yoga teacher, mum, nature-lover and free spirit who lives by the forest and the beach, near Byron Bay.
Sarada works as Team Leader for ORGANIC INDIA AUS & NZ and is passionate about healthy, conscious living.